PENTAX K-5 IIs - Description
This new model is designed to be the successor to the PENTAX K-5 (launched in October 2010), which has been very well received for its compact but solid, functional body and high-quality image reproduction. As the flagship model of the K series, the K-5 II boasts many advanced functions and user-friendly features, including a newly developed AF sensor assuring a broader AF working EV range, to accommodate many kinds of shooting conditions and photographic requirements.
PENTAX K 5II Product VideoCheck out our PENTAX K-5II product video
K-5 II s achieves supreme resolutions
The K-5 IIs is a model offered without an anti-aliasing filter; this filter, commonly found in dSLRs, helps smooth computer generated imagery by decreasing high frequencies and distortion, but also reduces detail resolution. Without this filter included, the K5-IIs creates opportunities for deeply rich, detailed imagery at supreme resolution levels. Capture stunning landscapes and scenes with maximum depth of field and clarity. The K5-IIs model is the perfect choice for studio and commercial photography where camera settings, lens selection and shooting conditions are controlled.
A new SAFOX X AF module for the top AF performance in its class
The K-5 II features a newly developed, highly sensitive SAFOX X AF module. Thanks to the unit’s high-sensitivity AF sensor, which performs brilliantly in low-light conditions, this new module offers a broad AF working EV range (-3 EV to +18 EV). SAFOX X can work with luminous flux based on F2.8 levels in addition to that of F5.6. This increase the AF accuracy drastically when using with very fast lenses Coupled with an upgraded AF algorithm, it delivers exceptional AF performance, including such useful features as a select-area expansion function, which automatically tracks the subject even when it moves away from a pre-assigned select point by assessing distance data collected by neighboring focus sensors.
High-quality LCD monitor with outstanding visibility outdoors
The K-5 II comes equipped with a 3.0-inch, wide-view, air-gap-free LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots. Sandwiched between the front glass panel (which is coated with an anti-glare film) and the LCD screen is a unique resin layer that cuts down the reflection and dispersion of the light to effectively prevent ghost images and greatly reduce brightness loss. The front panel is also made of tempered glass to keep it free of scratches and abrasions.
High-resolution, true-to-life images with minimal noise
With its large sensor measuring 23.7mm by 15.7mm in size with approximately 16.28 effective megapixels, the K-5 II’s latest-generation CMOS image sensor assures high-speed image data readout. By coupling this high-performance image sensor with the acclaimed PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II imaging engine, the K-5 II delivers super-high-resolution, rich-gradation digital images free of digital noise over a wide sensitivity range — from ISO 100 to ISO 12800 in standard setting, or from ISO 80 to ISO 51200 when expanded via a custom function.
Bright, clear optical viewfinder with a 100% field of view
The K-5 II features a glass pentaprism finder with a nearly 100% field of view and approximately 0.92-times magnification (with a 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity) to provide a sharp, clear view of the entire image field and improve the accuracy and speed of focusing and image composition. It also comes with the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to facilitate manual-focus operation.
Compact, solid body with dustproof, weather-resistant construction
The K-5 II’s exterior casing is made of sturdy yet lightweight magnesium alloy, while its chassis is made of highly rigid stainless steel. Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals in the body, it boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation even under demanding outdoor conditions, and at temperatures as low as -10°C. It also features a dependable shutter unit that provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and the outstanding durability to withstand as many as 100,000 shutter releases.
High-speed continuous shooting
The K-5 II’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 30 images (in the JPEG format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second, allowing the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of active, fast-moving subjects — such as athletes, stage performers and wildlife — with great ease.
PENTAX-original SR mechanism with user-assisting options
The K-5 II features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by approximately three shutter steps, to produce sharp, blur-free images. This image sensor shift-type SR mechanism works with almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses — even those designed for film-format cameras.* Thanks to its flexible design, which tilts the image sensor unit in all directions, the K-5 II offers several useful features to assist the photographer during shooting, such as auto level compensation and image-composition fine-adjustment functions. In combination with the optional GPS Unit O-GPS1, it also offers an ASTROTRACER function to simplify astronomical photography.
* Lenses compatible with this mechanism: PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
Innovative image-processing functions
The K-5 II features the custom image function, which allows the users to easily select the desired finishing touch for a particular image, in order to more faithfully express their creative intention or emphasize the prevailing atmosphere. This function offers a choice of nine distinctive custom image modes, such as: Bleach Bypass, which creates a solemn visual effect used in motion pictures; and Cross Process, which produces eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colors. The K-5 II also offers 18 digital filters including Sketch and Posterization to add distinctive visual effects to captured images, without the need of a computer. The user can even apply different filters one after another to a single image to create more inventive visual effects.
- 77-segment multi-pattern metering system, for extra-accurate light measurement
- Customizable Slow Shutter Speed NR (Noise Reduction) setting, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes
- Customizable High-ISO sensitivity NR (Noise Reduction) setting, with a camera-dependent Auto mode and a user-adjustable reduction strength preset for each ISO setting
- Electronic Level function, with a vertical level scale
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses)
- CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance to emphasize the dominant colors of a specific scene
- DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism, to effectively shake dust off the CMOS image sensor using ultrasonic vibration
- PENTAX-original Hyper control system, to swiftly and accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions
- Dynamic-range expansion function, to compensate for both whitewashed (overexposed) highlight area and black-out (underexposed) shadow area
- RAW data retrieve function to save an original raw data of a just-recorded JPEG-format image
- RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format, as well as for assignment and instant recall of a specific function
- A choice of three grid patterns while in Live-view mode, including “Golden Section”
- Long battery life, for recording of approximately 980 images with full recharge
- PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing and browser application (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application
♦ HDMI, the HDMI Logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
♦ All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
♦ Designs and specifications are subjects to change without notice.